Friday, November 21, 2008

iPhone 2.2

I downloaded and installed the updated iPhone firmware. There are several updates, the one that will be most noticeable is to the maps function.  The Apps Store as well as the iTunes Store are updated and there are a bunch of smaller updated to make safari more stable, resolving some drop call issues, and you can now turn off auto correct on the keyboard (I have no clue why anyone would want to do this as it is one of the best features on the iPhone and allows me to type almost faster than on my computer keyboard).

Maps - On first impression google street view is awesome. If you search a location or drop a pin you can tap on a little person looking icon and it drops you into street view. It runs pretty fluid but I am on wifi so that is expected but I would imagine it would render pretty fast on 3G; edge will be the biggest question. You can e-mail a location to someone, which is pretty cool. There are public transit directions (which gives you the bus/train lines and a departing time and arrival time) and walking directions (gives you distance and approximately how long it would take).


iPhone google maps public transit directionsiPhone google streetview

Apps Store - The biggest thing I see here is that the categories tab has icons representing each category.  Also, when you select an app there are multiple screen shots vs. just one and you have the option send via e-mail to a friend.

iTunes Store - The biggest addition to the iTunes Store is the ability to download podcasts. The rest of the store looks pretty much the same.  I wonder why they didn't add a share or send to a friend option here for music? There seem to be 2 ways you can get podcasts; the first is through the iTunes Store when you search something and download the available episode(s) and in the ipod podcast section you have the option, for already downloaded podcasts, to get updates. I wonder if it will prompt you when there are updates available?

iPhone iTunes store podcast
These are major improvements and further separate the iPhone from other smart phone but there 3 updates that would blow every other device out of the water:
  1. Cut & Paste
  2. MMS
  3. Flash
I think the MMS and Flash can easily swap order but cut & paste is by far the biggest missing piece and it would make so much sense for the iPhone to nearly replacing my computer.

If I see anything else interesting I will update.

No comments:

Share This

Bookmark and Share