Monday, February 16, 2009

New Job

I accepted a job as Director of Customer Acquisition @ Dada Entertainment a online mobile content and music retail social network. I know there is a lot going on there but it is an interesting business model and the social aspect seems like a no brainer for music but I have not seen anyone doing this. I guess MS is doing something similar with Zune and their "welcome to the social" but I never really dug into it to really know what the social part of Zune was beyond sharing tracks from Zune to Zune.

I have done a bunch of customer acquisition work on the agency and client side and so this should be a fun job as it is in a small environment and with a cool product (see here for a better view into the product). They have also been keeping a company blog which gets periodically updated with top 10 tracks downloaded and major company announcements. During my many interviews there was a brief discussion about adding more to the blog which hopefully I will be able to help with. 

The new gig starts in 2 weeks on Monday March 2nd (unless my background check doesn't come out clean; insert Taliban joke here). In the mean time I will be reading more of stuff like this:

The Marketing During the Recession series of blog posts from TrendWatch. (they are up to #6 and while I think most of these rules seem pretty standard good business practices it is always good to focus on the fundamentals especially during tough economic times.

The Freemium Business Model several blog posts from Andrew Chen, a really smart and interesting blogger. Although, the freemium model doesn't directly apply it still gives a good view into how others are building and growing successful business online.

Also, Blog Maverick, Babbling VC (side note I went to HS with Paul we sat next to each other in AP Physics and Trig he was smart back then and is still smart), GigaOm, Scobleizer and Darren Herman have all had interesting posts about start-ups and business in rough economic times. 

I would imagine my poker and basketball consumption will decrease while my cookie consumption will probably remain constant hopefully I can increase my running and start doing some morning runs especially as the weather starts to get nicer. 

No comments:

Share This

Bookmark and Share